Tuesday, June 05, 2007

6 Flamerule, 1368: Meeting the Wizard...again

Once past the tests and inside the antechamber of his tower, Shandar applauds the party on their success and proclaims loudly that he knew they were just the ones for the job!

"Please, if any of you are in need of healing as a result of your efforts, allow us to see to your wounds and give you any aid you require." Shandar said, gesturing to the others in the room. "Allow me to introduce you to my own band of adventurers, who have helped me greatly in the scouting of this location and the building of my tower."

One by one, he introduces the members of his team.

If any party members need healing or aid, they will be given it immediately and free of charge.

He will introduce you to the members of his party, which include:

"Mina, here, is a cleric of the twentieth level of ability. I am not religious myself, but healing magic is always useful to have ready at hand, and she is quite the engineer so she's done me a great service in helping to plan the construction of this tower. She follows the teachings of Gond, as luck would have it."

Routunious, brightening visibly, exclaimed, "Luck indeed! I am in great need of a trainer who knows my faith who can see to my attaining the next level of ability. Would you, dear lady, be available for such service?"

The beautiful priestess nods, without speaking. Shandar interrupts, "Of course. Each member of my company is available to provide the training needed within your individual disciplines, and the provision of those services will be included in the offer I'm about to make you...But, please, let us continue with the introductions."

"Karryn Starfollower, a ninth level ranger, you have met already. She operates as my agent in Bug Tussle."

"Yes, we saw her the first time we saw you, in the Fighter's Own tavern. She delivered the map to you and later your letter to us." Elessaria said, examinig the ranger closely for the first time. "I too have need of advancement in my field and would seek your training...however I suffer from a malady of the mind which has prevented proper focus. Perhaps something can be done to relieve me of the burden these recurring visions of death which haunt me so?"

"I'm sure we can find a way to ease any difficulty which troubles any of you, my dear. We are not without exprience in these areas." The wizard replied.

"And this young woman, as beautiful as she is strong, is my personal bodyguard. She is a barbarian fighter from Icewindale, and warrior of the tenth level. Her name is Alusair Stormblade, and you can understand why I don't rely on her for secretive missions...she does manage to stand out in a crowd."

"Seven feet tall and worth the climb." Alusair said evenly, eyeing the wizard with more amusement than annoyance.

"Miss Stormblade is an expert at tactics and has been invaluable in giving advice on how best to defend this tower from unwanted intrusions--"

"I'm Carson," The rogue leaning against the wall interrupted, "Pleased to make your acquaintence."

"I was getting to you, Carson. Impatience isn't a valued trait in a thief, is it?" Shandar asked.

"Not impatience, pride. I didn't want to be the last one introduced. There's only Marie left, afterall."

"Carson, here, is the person upon whom I rely not only to procure items which might have dubious ownership, he's a 9th level rogue and an expert in traps. He's guided me in in the construction of my own traps here in the tower." Shandar offered.

"So, we have you to thank for the traps that nearly killed me." Selina snapped.

"The very same, and you're most welcome, by the way. You did a good job of managing not to get killed...so I suppose I'll have to improve that one for future use."

"As Carson pointed out, last but not least is my personal assistant, Marie Zahara. She responsible for keeping the tower functioning and myself on task. She's got potential as a mage, I think, and I've been seeing to her training in return for her services. So far, its been a very rewarding relationship for both of us."

"How do you do?" The pretty servant asked. "Is there anything I can do for you? We have facilities for bathing. Perhaps you'd like to clean up a little before we dine? I've prepared a banquet for us all."

"Yes," Shandar said, "You're our guests for as long as you like. And it would hardly be civilized to discuss my proposal with you before you've had a chance to freshen up, and hot food put in your bellies. Even if you don't accept and sign the contract, you've more than earned our hospitality."

The party accepts and cleans up, then they eat a remarkable feast. Laid out on the massive table in the dining hall was a fabulous meal. There was oyster and wild rice soup, roast wild boar and pork ribs served with a wide variety of steamed vegetables. Hearty black bread, fresh from the oven served with Arabellan chedar cheese and for desert a delicious bread pudding covered in a sweet sauce that tasted slightly of bourbon. Throughout the meal, Marie never let a wineglass sit empty for long.

Shandar asked what the party had learned of him, knowing that they wouldn't undertake such a journey without conducting at least a minimal investigation of their potential patron.

Stago repeated what little was told to them by Alzador and others in Bug Tussle. Shandar is clearly made angry by what he calls "ill informed and malicious gossip." Stago dissembles and asks Shandar for his side of the story.

"Long ago, in the land of Ool and in the city of Epping, the Hopeful 7 formed their charter. We travelled across the great desert to Vilhoon, where we set up residence and journeyed into the Dagger Hills to explore a dungeon we'd discovered a map to...the Dungeon of Doom. We did well, but we didn't take the risks or achieve the goals I wanted. Galen was too timid and wouldn't go deep enough or fast enough.

Another band came and hired me. I set off with them to explore and map deeper into the dungon. I recovered several powerful artifacts from the chamber of a lich."

"What's a lich?" Asked Selina.

"An undead mage. Truly nasty, truly powerful." Answered Stago.

"Correct," Shandar continued, "While the party I was with battled the creature, I...became separated from them. I managed to escape not only with my life, but with three objects from the lich's treasure trove. Objects of immense power."

"What happened to the party you were with?" Asked Routunious.

"I can only imagine that they were destroyed by the lich...because I never saw them again. I thought that the Hopeful Seven would be pleased at the information I had obtained about the deeper levels of the dungeon and the power I could offer them now that I had these artifacts in my possession. Galen and the others demanded that I share these artifacts with them. I was under...a different opoinon and was compelled to leave the adventuring company because I wouldn't part with the items I felt I'd earned on my own."

The wizard paused and motioned for Marie to bring him another glass of Brandybone wine. He took a long drink before continuing. "But, my prizes attracted the attention of an evil wizard named Nesha. I don't know if he was able to scry them or if he heard of them from the Hopeful Seven spreading their bitter accusations about me. Whatever the cause, he came and stole all three artifacts, my spell book, and several other items which I prized greatly. Having no one else to turn to, I went crawling back to the Hopeful Seven and begged their assistance in regaining my lost treasure. They laughed at me. They felt I'd gotten what I deserved, and they'd already replaced me with that inept conjurer, Alzador."

"What happened to Nesha?" Asked Elessaria. "Surely you have tried to track him over the years."

"He is more powerful than I...more powerful than anyone could possibly imagine with those artifacts in his possession. I heard through various sources I have reason to trust that he used the objects to tap into the powers of the Lower Planes. He is rumored to have captured the attention of a demonic entity, just as I had attracted his. The demon used his ambition to ensare him, and pulled Nesha into the Abyss, where is remains today, endlessly tortured. A well deserved fate, though I'd prefer it were at my hands."

"And the artifacts?" Asked Selina.

"Lost, scattered across the realms. My footsoldiers here have helped me search for clues and we believe that all of the objects are now located in various places in the Dalelands.

Selina and Elessaria ask almost simultaneously, "Why don't you guys go find them?
Why do you need us? We're inexperienced."

Shandar replied, "We are well known in the area, as you have discovered, and would attract the wrong kind of attention – say the Demon or the agents of Nesha. I suspect that if the Hopeful Seven knew that I was getting close to regaining those items they might attempt to stop me themselves. I need unknowns, people who no one would expect could possibly succeed. I need you. Here are my terms of employment..."

He hands them a rolled parchment to read, and stands. "I will leave you here to read the contract and discuss it among yourselves. We'll return in an hour to answer questions and haggle over the details." With that, the wizard and his companions left the room. Only Marie remained to clear the table as the PCs read the contract.

While considering the contract, it becomes apparent that they will need to come up with a name for the party, as well as determine who the party leader will be. Various suggestions are offere,d including The Uncanny Five, The Fantastic Five, The Revengers, The Justice League of Stago. The last one is considered a non-starter. Stago suggests The League of Extraordinary Gnomes,
Elves and Humans. Routunious suggests Big Bug Tussle Conspiracy.

In the end, it is resolved that Elissaria is named the leader of the company and that the company will be called The Company of the Severed Head. Deciding to pick a leader and a name proves more difficult than deciding upon the contract terms.

In the end, after some careful negotions with Shandar, everything is agreed and all sign the contract. Thus decided, the company begins their training so that before they begin the first quest, all are in top condition. It will take several weeks, and they are welcome to stay at the tower until ready to travel.

No comments: